Connect with us

DIASPORA

Tsvangirai nurse found dead

Published

on

The late Ms Nomsa Ncube

A Zimbabwean nurse working in a South African hospital who caused a stir when a picture of her posing next to the late MDC-T president Mr Morgan Tsvangirai during his final days went viral on social media, has died amid suspicions that she could have committed suicide.

 The late Ms Nomsa Ncube


The late Ms Nomsa Ncube

Ms Nomsa Ncube, who worked at the Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre (WDGMC) in Johannesburg, was reportedly found dead at her flat in Johannesburg on February 18, four days after the former Prime Minister succumbed to cancer of the colon in the neighbouring country.

Mr Tsvangirai, who was buried at his Buhera rural home last week on Tuesday, was diagnosed with cancer in 2016.

The politician had been visiting the hospital for two years for what his aides called routine treatment.
He died on February 14 after being admitted there last month.

Ms Ncube came under the spotlight when a picture of her posing next to the ailing politician during his final days went viral on social media.

There are different versions on the cause of her death.

A family member who spoke on condition of anonymity said she may have been killed while some online sources allege that she committed suicide following public condemnation when her picture with the late politician started circulating.

Zimbabwe’s consul general to South Africa Mr Batiraishe Mukonoweshuro confirmed that Ms Ncube had died. He said investigations were underway.

“I am told that the South African Police Service is still dealing with the case and ascertaining the circumstances around how she passed on. No information has been available as to how she died, purportedly on Sunday 18 February in the evening,” said Mr Mukonoweshuro.

He said his offce was yet to get more details on the issue.

WDGMC manager Ms Sue Tager told The Chronicle that she was not in a position to comment on the incident.

“I am so sorry because we do not comment on media reports hence I cannot say anything. I will not be able to help you,” she said.

A family source who spoke on condition of anonymity said the nurse was killed as she was found in a pool of blood.

“We suspect that she was killed because her body was found lying in a pool of blood. At first we believed that she had committed suicide but we are certain of foul play though we cannot really say why she was killed or who did it,” he said.

A Zimbabwean nurse registered with the South African Nursing Council (SANC) allegedly wrote to the professional body demanding action against the nurse after her picture with Mr Tsvangirai went viral.
In the complaint, the nurse, identified only as S Masawi, demanded that the nurse be charged with misconduct.

“May I bring to your attention the attached image showing one of your nurses posing for a picture with a patient who is clearly in his final days.

“The patient is a well known Zimbabwean politician Mr Morgan Tsvangirai who passed away today (Wednesday) 14 Feb 2018 at the well-known hospital in Africa WDGMC (Wits Gordon, South African Hospital),” Masawi said.

“I am a fellow registered nurse myself and, sadly, l find the actions of your staff member, a fellow professional colleague to be grossly inappropriate, unprofessional and in breach of the Nursing profession’s code of conduct.

“I would like to assume a breach in the local hospital policies as well,” reads the complaint.

In response, a spokesperson for the hospital said disciplinary measures had been taken.

“It is with regret that we note recent posts on social media showing a photograph of Mr Tsvangirai with a nursing staff member.We have investigated the matter and, according to the nursing staff member, the photograph was taken with the permission of Mr Tsvangirai.

“We strongly condemn the appropriateness of the photograph and its subsequent distribution and confirm that disciplinary action has been taken against the nursing staff member,” the spokesperson was quoted as saying. The Chronicle

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

DIASPORA

Zimbabweans in SA anxiously await Home Affairs announcement on permit extension

Published

on


Thousands of holders of the Zimbabwe Exemption Permit (ZEP) are living in uncertainty because the South African government has not yet indicated whether it will renew their permits. About 180 000 Zimbabweans hold ZEPs. The four-year permit expires on 31 December 2021.

Some Zimbabweans said their banks had already warned them to renew their permits or face closure of their accounts in December.

The permits were first issued in 2010 under the Dispensation of Zimbabweans Project (ZDP). The programme was renewed in 2014 as the Zimbabwe Special Permit (ZSP), before the ZEP was introduced in 2017.

Zimbabwe nationals desperate to resolve ZEP renewals
A Zimbabwean, who we will only identify as Matthew, said he can’t make plans for the future. He is a supervisor at a restaurant and lives in New Brighton with his wife and two children. He has been living in South Africa for 20 years.

“I started with an asylum seeker permit before I got the ZDP, ZSP and the ZEP. I have lived in this country for the better part of my adult life. It will be heartbreaking if the government refuses to renew the permits.

“I have two bank accounts and insurance as well as burial policies. These will all go down the drain if the government refuses to extend the permits.”

He said he is established in the community and his children speak fluent Xhosa. “They identify themselves with local culture because they were born here,” he said.

Another ZEP holder said South Africa should grant citizenship to those who have lived legally in the country for five or more years.

“Some people have invested a lot in the country. Others have bought immovable property, which they will be forced to leave,” he said.

Home Affairs mum on ongoing delays
Chairperson of the Zimbabwe Migrants Support Network Chris Mapingure said, “We appeal to the Department of Home Affairs to issue a statement regarding the renewal of the ZEP.”

Chairperson of the Zimbabwe Exiles Forum Advocate Gabriel Shumba said he is receiving an unprecedented number of enquiries from concerned permit holders.

“It is an issue that seriously affects thousands of Zimbabweans, especially with some banks threatening to close accounts.”

Home Affairs spokespersons Siya Qoza and David Hlabane have not responded to GroundUp’s queries.

Continue Reading

DIASPORA

Zimbabweans In SA Ask Government To Reduce Passport Processing Fees

Published

on

By

Zimbabweans based in South Africa have appealed to government to reduce the passport processing fees saying they could not afford the current costs since their income has been negatively affected by COVID-19 lockdown restrictions.

The Zimbabwe Community in South Africa, said they had not been spared the COVID-19 economic hardships and hence the request for downward review of passport fees.

Zimbabweans based abroad are expected to pay US$318 for new passports. “We call on the government to reduce the passport fee in solidarity with the working people who are under global lockdown following the outbreak of coronavirus,” the Zimbabwe Community in South Africa spokesperson, Bongani Mazwi Mkwananzi said.

“A caring government will reduce the passport fees by at least 50% and still recoup passport production costs.”

The Registrar-General’s office says it is failing to clear a backlog of 300 000 applications due to foreign currency shortages to import consumables such as ink, films, ribbon and passport paper.

They also want the embassy in that country to be fully equipped to process passport applications, rather than the current situation where they have to return to Zimbabwe to hand in the application forms.

Zimbabwe Community in South Africa spokesperson, Bongani Mazwi, was quoted by the Herald newspaper on Thursday as saying that the organization had since engaged Zimbabwe’s ambassador to South Africa over the matter.

“We call on the government to reduce the passport fees in solidarity with the working people who are under global lockdown following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic,” Mazwi said.

He said the government could cut the passport fee by 50 percent and still recoup production costs.
The request by Zimbabweans in South Africa comes after the Zimbabwe government announced that its diplomatic mission in South Africa had introduced a gradual resumption of consular services to facilitate the repatriation of those in need of returning home.

This follows the recent relaxation of lockdown measures by the South African government.

The Zimbabwean government last year introduced a policy to charge citizens living in the Diaspora in U.S. dollars for production of passports, as a way to help it raise foreign currency to import consumables required in production of passports.

It pegged the fee at $318 US dollars.

Most Zimbabweans living in the Diaspora have had their income streams affected by the pandemic, with students in particular, being the most affected.

This has resulted in many students opting to come back home, with government in some cases assisting with their repatriation.

“It has become painfully clear that one must fork out this huge amount to get a passport processed, otherwise they will wait months for a passport to be issued. Many have reported that they were told to top-up as long as their passports hold a work permit,” Mkwananzi said as he lamented the slow pace it takes the RG’s office to process passports.

Government in March this year gazetted Statutory Instrument 61 of 2020 to enable applicants to pay passport fees in foreign currency

Continue Reading

DIASPORA

Ramaphosa: We are reviewing foreign special permits

Published

on

special permits

Foreigners in South Africa must brace for possible huge changes in immigration laws as the country plans to tighten screws on the employment of foreigners.

Last week President Cyril Ramaphosa told Parliament that he has put in place an inter-ministerial committee (IMC) that will review employment laws. He mentioned that the IMC will look into the special dispensation permits awarded to Zimbabwean and Lesotho citizens in the country.

“The IMC will also review the decisions on special dispensation work permits, amendments to our Immigration Act, Employment Services Act and labour migration management,” Ramaphosa said.

He said the country will ensure that they employ only skilled foreigners. “We must ensure that our approach to the employment of foreign nationals provides and addresses the issue of scarce critical skills that we need to grow our economy,” said Ramaphosa.

The issue of foreigners has been a hot topic in the past few years with jobless South African citizens calling for foreigners to leave. The country has witnessed several incidents of attack on foreign nations in the past decade. Recently, foreign truck drivers were attacked by local drivers who demanded companies to employ only locals.

“In the end, we need to deal with the challenge our people always talk about, a challenge of foreign nationals who are here in great numbers in our country. We need to deal with it properly, politically and we need to deal with it historically,” added Ramaphosa.

Recently top Cabinet ministers such as Tito Mboweni and Fikile Mbalula have openly advocated for employment of locals ahead of foreigners.

Ramaphosa, however called locals not to blame foreigners for the current economic woes the country is going through. – DiasporaLIVE

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 I ZIM. For Zimbabweans By Zimbabweans