Harare ‑ A ban on minibus taxis in Harare’s central business district ended tragically when Zimbabwe Republic Police officers opened fire on pedestrians on Thursday evening, killing two people on the spot.
A third person succumbed to their injuries inside the Harare Central Police Station. The incident happened at Seke Road Flyover Bridge.
A witness told African News Agency (ANA) that at around 6 pm, a police officer tried to apprehend a commuter omnibus driver who was resisting arrest.
“When the commuter omnibus driver resisted arrest, the officer drew out a pistol to fire a warning shot,” the witness said.
“The shot went astray, hitting an elderly man who was walking along the pavement.”
The man was still covered by cardboard boxes at around 10 pm, hours after the incident took place.
The same police officer reportedly fired another shot, which hit a roasted maize vendor, who was heavily pregnant.
She was taken to Harare Central Police Station in a commuter omnibus, where she reportedly died.
Another man who was standing far away was said to have been shot in the leg and also ferried to hospital by an ambulance.
The fourth victim was said to have been shot in the head.
The incident sparked public outrage and members of the public stormed the police station demanding the arrest of the police officer.
Enraged members of the public went belligerent and besieged the police station, stoning glass panes and torching three cars in protest.
“Every cop in uniform was thoroughly bashed until they started firing teargas canisters into the protesters,” another witness said
The incident took place barely a few hours after local government, public works and national works minister July Moyo reversed Harare City Council’s decision to ban kombis in town in a move codenamed Operation Restore Order.
The move saw commuters walking on foot, some for more than 5km, to get to the central business district.
Police spokesperson senior assistant commissioner Charity Charamba did not respond to questions sent to her at the time of publishing. African News Agency/ANA
Fraudster arrested after swipping for $390 000 groceries
A fraudster has been arrested after he swiped for groceries worth more than $398 000 at OK Supermarket in Hwange using a bank card that had been tampered with.
The man, Brian Pedzisa of Chitungwiza, was arrested on Thursday and is suspected to be among a gang of people who have been using cloned cards and other bank card related tactics to con various retail shops across the country.
Detectives on Thursday pounced on Pedzisa at the supermarket, moments after he was about to get out after swiping for groceries worth $396 384.
Matabeleland North provincial police spokesperson Inspector Glory Banda confirmed the incident and said police were now looking for two other people linked to the sca
“On 10 June 2021 a gang of three fraudsters tried to defraud OK Hwange Supermarket of groceries worth $396 384.
One of the fraudsters successfully used an electronic Visa card to make purchases but before he could make off he was arrested by a team of watchful detectives who were working on a tip-off. Upon being interviewed the suspect revealed that he was working with two other accomplices who are still at large,” said Insp Banda.
He said the gang had used the same strategy to defraud OK Mart Victoria Falls of an undisclosed amount in groceries. He appealed to members of the public to assist with information leading to their arrest.
“The two accomplices are on the run anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of these two criminals can report at the nearest police station,” said Insp Banda.
He called on shop owners to enhance security to avoid such incidents which were on the rise in the country.
“As police we would like to implore shop owners to enhance security at their premises through use of alarm systems and Closed Circuit Television. Retailers should examine electronic cards and do necessary verifications before processing of electronic transactions. For the record some fraudsters misrepresent themselves as humanitarian workers.”
According to sources privy to the incident, the gang would approach the supermarkets seeking a quotation for groceries pretending that the transaction wanted would be effected from a nostro account. Later one of the gang members would return to make purchases using a Visa card whose microchip would have been tampered with. Sunday News
BREAKING : Former Studio 263 actress Anne Nhira dies in SA
Former Studio 263 actress Anne Nhira who acted as Vimbai Jari in the soap has died.
She was 38 years old.
Her brother Juan Nhira confirmed the news.
“She sustained injuries on her chest area, rib cage and back during a robbery on Monday afternoon in Bedford view South Africa. She was only 38 years of age,” he said.
Juan said her funeral arrangements will be announced in due course. Rest in peace Anne.
Watch: Chivhu mother beheads her four children sets house on fire
Video footage has emerged after a Chivhu mother allegedly beheaded her four children before setting the family house on fire.
Police said on Twitter, “The woman then surrendered herself to the Police.”
National Police Spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi said he was not in a position to give further details as the case was in it’s infancy.
“Our police officers are still attending the crime scene,” he said.
The incident occurred in Highview suburb in Chivhu which is about 146km from Harare.
The woman’s name and age could not be immediately established.
Meanwhile, videos of the multiple murder scene have surfaced online.
Watch the video below;