Luxurious Travel Bus Company Intercape has sent letters to its employees in Botswana, Mozambique and Zimbabwe notifying them it will temporarily lay them off starting 1 May 2020.
The letter dated 15 April says the employees will receive their April salaries and the temporary layoff will be for 3 months, May June and July 2020.
NOTICE OF INTENTION TO INTRODUCE A TEMPORARY LAY-OFF
Due to the COVID – 19 lockdown and Intercape not allowed to operate, the employer is considering
implementing a Temporary Lay-Off for an estimated period of 3 months (May, June and July 2020).
All employees in Intercape BOTSWANA, ZIMBABWE AND MOZAMBIQUE will be affected by this
Should you have any alternative suggestions to avoid the introduction of a Temporary lay -off, we
would gladly consider it. All alternative suggestions can be sent in writing to [email protected]
Should a temporary lay-off be introduced the following will apply:
1. The temporary lay-off comes into effect on 01 May 2020.
2. Employees affected will not receive a salary for May, June and July 2020.
3. Employees are allowed to work for other employers during this period and will not transgress
their contracts of service should this be done.
4. Employees are allowed to claim unemployment benefits during this period from their
respective government institutions.
5. The temporary lay-off is proposed until 31 July 2020 and should the need arise to extend,
cancel or shorten the period, management will contact the affected employees.
6. Employees must return to work on 03 August 2020.