Connect with us

NEWS

Fear, uncertainty follow Mnangagwa victory

Published

on

FEAR and uncertainty now grips the country following the declaration of incumbent President Emmerson Mnangagwa as winner of the 2018 elections, the first such plebiscite since the ouster of long serving leader Robert Mugabe November last year.

Mnangagwa upstaged his main challenger Nelson Chamisa of MDC Alliance with a 6-point margin after he got 50,8 percent of the national vote, compared to the latter’s 44,3%.

A total of 2 460 463 people voted for the now President designate while 2 147 436 voted his rival.

Fears abound the country could deepen its protracted political and economic crisis which has seen the country remain polarised for nearly two decades.

Drama was witnessed during results announcement Friday morning when MDC-T national chair Morgen Komichi stormed the results announcement centre at Rainbow Towers and dismissed the official results that had been announced moments before by ZEC, describing them as a doctored outcome.

There are strong fears the fresh acrimony brought into the country by its controversial circle of elections could plunge Zimbabwe into fresh violence in the immediate or worse, restore the political deadlock that saw the country endure more than a decade of international isolation for poll fraud and rights abuses.

Six people were killed on Wednesday while over a dozen were injured when the army was deployed into central Harare to quell riotous protests by MDC Alliance followers.

University of Zimbabwe political science professor, Charity Manyeruke said Friday that the electoral process and outcome was fair and Mnangagwa was genuinely declared winner.

“He is the genuine winner of this election. The MDC won in its traditional strongholds such as Harare and Bulawayo,” she told the media at Rainbow Towers soon after the Zanu PF leader had been declared winner.

Similarly, Linda Masarira of the MDC-T led by Thokozani Khupe was adamant the country should move forward and resist the temptation of being bogged down by disputed polls.

“I would like to congratulate Mr Mnangagwa for winning this election…we need to move forward as a country. The election has been held and results declared and we should accept the outcome” said the MDC-T spokesperson.

But there was a strong outpouring of anger among Zimbabweans local and abroad who felt Chamisa was denied a clear victory by both ZEC and Zanu PF.

“It’s a dark day,” read a social media comment from a Zimbabwean based in the United Kingdom.

“Zanu PF will remain Zanu PF. It will never stop manipulating elections.”

The MDC Alliance is this Friday expected to announce its own set of results that place its 40-year-old leader as winner.

Chamisa told local and international media before results were announced on Thursday that approaching Zimbabwean courts was a waste of time as local judges were compromised.

Days ahead of the poll, he has been telling his followers to “defend their vote”, something authorities have interpreted to mean it was an incitement to violence.

Observers have warned Mnangagwa to exercise leadership and try to manage the volatile situation which has potential to reverse the relative stability witnessed in the country since November 2017.

RadioVOP

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

NEWS

Watch: South Africans give notice to foreigners to leave SA before June 16

Published

on

With no sign of economic hardships disappearing in Zimbabwe, those who have escaped to South Africa are living in fear as locals have threatened to chase them if they don’t leave on their own accord.

Warnings of an operation to get South Africa rid of foreign nationals on the 16th of June continue to circulate.

Recently, a video surfaced on social media showing the ogarnisers of the operation dubbed, OPERATION DUDULA serving seven day notices to some foreign nationals to vacate the country.

OPERATION DUDULA
WE WILL BE REMOVING ALL ILLEGAL FOREIGNERS BY FORCE!!!
SIDUDULA INSIDE SHOPS AND HAWKERS
IF YOU ARE OPERATING ILLEGALLY YOU BETTER PACK AND GO BEFORE 16 JUNE 2021!!!

– reads the notice.

While the poster specifies that illegal foreigners will be targeted it however does not state that documented ones will be spared.

Such attacks, as occurred before, ended up targeting all immigrants regardless of their status.

Dudula which means “push” brings horrific and sad memories of xenophobic attacks that happened in the country in 2015. Many people were killed, some burnt alive, while some were left homeless as their homes were destroyed.

Just like it happened before, the South African Police Services (SAPS) ignored warnings of imminent attacks on immigrants which then led to the bloodshed.

Similarly, at this point, the SAPS or any government have not said anything about the threats on foreign citizens in their country.

In one of the videos circulating online, the pro Dudula Operation people can be heard blaming the loadshedding on illegal connections supposedly done by foreign nationals.

Local truck drivers have been at loggerheads with their foreign counterparts accusing them of stealing their jobs and accepting low wages and inhuman working conditions.

The situation has left the Zimbabwean and other foreign drivers prone to abuse even when they are legally in the country.

Members of a local drivers organisation, well known for violent attacks on drivers and trucks, have been targeting foreign drivers sjamboking them while recording videos which are then spread online.

They do this to humiliate their victims and instill fear on their colleagues.

No reports of arrest of the perpetrators have been made yet.

For the Zimbabweans and other foreigners in the country, it remains to be seen if they will still call South Africa home after the June 16 2021.

The date concides with South Africa’s youth day when they commemorate the heroics of the youths of 1976 who were massacred by the army after revolting against apartheid.

Continue Reading

CRIME AND COURTS

Fraudster arrested after swipping for $390 000 groceries

Published

on

A fraudster has been arrested after he swiped for groceries worth more than $398 000 at OK Supermarket in Hwange using a bank card that had been tampered with.

The man, Brian Pedzisa of Chitungwiza, was arrested on Thursday and is suspected to be among a gang of people who have been using cloned cards and other bank card related tactics to con various retail shops across the country.

Detectives on Thursday pounced on Pedzisa at the supermarket, moments after he was about to get out after swiping for groceries worth $396 384.

Matabeleland North provincial police spokesperson Inspector Glory Banda confirmed the incident and said police were now looking for two other people linked to the sca

“On 10 June 2021 a gang of three fraudsters tried to defraud OK Hwange Supermarket of groceries worth $396 384.

One of the fraudsters successfully used an electronic Visa card to make purchases but before he could make off he was arrested by a team of watchful detectives who were working on a tip-off. Upon being interviewed the suspect revealed that he was working with two other accomplices who are still at large,” said Insp Banda.

He said the gang had used the same strategy to defraud OK Mart Victoria Falls of an undisclosed amount in groceries. He appealed to members of the public to assist with information leading to their arrest.

“The two accomplices are on the run anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of these two criminals can report at the nearest police station,” said Insp Banda.

He called on shop owners to enhance security to avoid such incidents which were on the rise in the country.

“As police we would like to implore shop owners to enhance security at their premises through use of alarm systems and Closed Circuit Television. Retailers should examine electronic cards and do necessary verifications before processing of electronic transactions. For the record some fraudsters misrepresent themselves as humanitarian workers.”

According to sources privy to the incident, the gang would approach the supermarkets seeking a quotation for groceries pretending that the transaction wanted would be effected from a nostro account. Later one of the gang members would return to make purchases using a Visa card whose microchip would have been tampered with. Sunday News

Continue Reading

Accidents

Gutu Inter-Africa bus and Honda Fit accident victims all from same family

Published

on

GUTU- Police has announced names of the Gutu accident victims who were involved in a Honda Fit – Bus collision along the Gutu- Chivhu Highway yesterday.

The five were killed when their vehicle collided head-on with an Inter-Africa Bus near Matizha Business Centre in Gutu.

National Police Spokesperson Insp Paul Nyathi announced the names of the deceased family members who were travelling from Harare as Francis Chagweda (33)the driver, Mavis Chagweda (61), Lloyd Chagweda (31), Viola Chagweda (35) and Keresensia Mapaaona (28).

According to a family member, Oscar Chagweda the now deceased were travelling to Chiwara in Gutu for a family function when the tragedy happened.

An eyewitness told I ZIM that the accident occured after the Inter-Africa bus tried to overtake another bus. “It then encroached onto the lane of the oncoming Honda fit which swerved to avoid collision,” said the witness.

The Honda fit reportedly swerved off the road but the bus did the same resulting in the head on collision.

Only one person from the car survived the horific accident and was taken to Matizha clinic before she was transferred to Gutu Rural Hospital for treatment.

During the covid-19 induced Lockdown, government banned private kombis allowing only those registered under ZUPCO to operate resulting in little non-commercial vehicles overloading passengers.

Yesterday, Vice President Constantino Chiwenga who doubles as the Health and Child Care Minister announced another Covid -19 regulations which gave a waiver to public transport operators.

However, the transport sector is also now dominated by “mushikashika” vehicles some of which include Toyota Wish and Honda fit vehicles who have the capacity to carry 4 or 5 passengers , however some of these vehicles end up carrying as many as nine passengers.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 I ZIM. For Zimbabweans By Zimbabweans