Australian actress Elizabeth Debicki will play Princess Diana of Wales, in the final two seasons of the hit Netflix series The Crown.
The actress will take over from the fourth season’s Emma Corrin.
The final two seasons of the royal drama, which is expected to cover the 1990s and early 2000s is going to be released this autumn.
“Princess Diana’s spirit, her words and her actions live in the hearts of so many,” Debicki said in a statement posted by The Crown’s official Twitter account.
“It is my true privilege and honour to be joining this masterful series, which has had me absolutely hooked from episode one,” she says.
The final two series will include the break-up of Princess Diana and Prince Charles’ marriage and her death in 1997.
The final two series may also go on to cover the deaths of Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother, seven weeks apart in 2002, and the Queen’s Golden Jubilee that summer.
Imelda Staunton, meanwhile, takes over from Olivia Colman as the monarch, while Lesley Manville will play Princess Margaret.
Has Macheso joined list of musicians who doubled as haulage truck drivers?
Alick Macheso’s publicist has moved in to explain whether the Sungura guru has joined the likes of Nicholas Zakaria, Zacharia Zakaria and Ronnie Mudindo who were once haulage truck drivers.
A picture of Macheso seemingly driving a haulage truck triggered social media debate over the weekend.
Some even thought Macheso had taken up new ventures to keep his band intact as Covid-19 lockdown measures suspended live shows, which are the major source of income.
However, it has since emerged that he posed for a photo while having a feel of a parked tanker.
His publicist, Tich Makahamadze said:
“As you know, he can interact with anyone at any level so he was just having fun. We just came across it and we started interacting.
“I actually took that picture about three or four days ago and we were just having fun. We even have a video at the same scene while mdhara was assuring his fans that live shows will resume as a soon as life returns to normalcy,” said Makahamadze.
Over the years, fellow musicians comprising Nicholas Zakaria, Zacharia Zakaria and Ronnie Mudindo once doubled as haulage truck drivers.
New film set to hit Zim TV screens
A new movie titled “Shaina” is set to premiere on ZTV this Friday at 9pm.
The film, which combines some of the best of Zimbabwe’s veteran and new talent, will also be screened on the on the same channel on August 23 at 10pm.
The film was produced by the same creative team that brought other films like “Inside Story” and “The Lucky Specials”
Shaina features various Zimbabwean talents like Jesesi Mungoshi, Leroy Gopal, Edmore Sandifolo, Marian Kunonga and Charmaine Mujeri.
It also features young talent like Wilmah Munemera, Tinodiwanashe Chitima, Gamu Mukwakwami, Tadiwanashe Marowa and Tarumbidzwa Chirume.
Commenting on the movie, Zimbabwean Communications Specialist Patricia Mabviko said that the movie is a must watch for everyone.
“Shaina is exceptional in the way that it allows us to vividly see the struggles faced by young people in their desire to achieve their goals which is sometimes further complicated by the demands to survive on a daily basis.
“The question is really, what do you do in the face of tough challenges?
“It’s a story of determination, of hope and of resilience which I believe will appeal to all Zimbabweans.”
Sandy still dreaming big
BULAWAYO-BASED dancer and songbird Sandra “Sandy” Ndebele-Sibindi (pictured) yesterday said she still had a lot to offer to the music industry and will continue to make music until the twilight of her life like American music goddess Madonna.
Sandy, who staged a scintillating show on Friday last week screened live on Facebook and Instagram, dubbed Yesteryear Hits & Newstuff (2003-2020) Live, mesmerised viewers with trademark max villa dance.
“I think the (COVID-19) lockdown brought self-realisation. I never stopped performing , but the love people showed me means that I should work even extra hard. With 27 000 views so far for a Bulawayo artiste, I was really shocked,” she said.
Although she admitted that age was slowly eating away her strength, she said she would not drop her trademark dance but would continue to work out in order to “stomp the yard”.
“If the Madonnas are still hitting, who are twice if not thrice my age, what will stop me? I need to lose more weight, then I will be able to dance more,” she said.
Speaking ahead of the launch of her forthcoming album on August 31, she said she has been working hard and should watch out for it.
“Personally I think we tried, we worked extra harder. In the album, I have worked with Iyasa, Jeys Marabini, Mzoe7 and I think all the songs are nice and they are all different,” she said_NewsDay