Connect with us

CRIME AND COURTS

Alleged Grace Mugabe Assault Victim Offered Blank Cheque- Video

Published

on

Grace Mugabe assault victim Debbie Engels

The woman who was allegedly assaulted by Zimbabwe’s First Lady‚ Grace Mugabe‚ was offered a blank cheque to make the matter go away.

This was revealed at a media conference on Thursday at AfriForum’s offices in Centurion at which the alleged victim‚ Gabriella Engels‚ and her mother‚ Debbie‚ were present.

“There wasn’t an amount offered to the Engels family. The indication was: come up with a figure‚” AfriForum CEO Kallie Kriel said.

Caty van der Merwe from AfriForum’s Trauma Unit said Engels was not directly threatened if she did not accept the offer.

“She is living in fear actually to go out into the public now. The family is living in fear for what might happen.”

Debbie Engels thanked AfriForum for their help.

“At least now I can sleep a little more peaceful knowing I have people in my corner that is gonna help me fight to get justice for my daughter.”

Gabriella‚ whose eyes were red and damp‚ chose not to address the media.

She sported a big bandage on her forehead and maintained a sombre facial expression.

AfriForum approached 20-year-old Gabriella to offer her legal support and counselling after she was allegedly assaulted by Mugabe on Sunday night with an electrical extension cord at a luxury hotel in Sandton‚ Johannesburg‚ where Mugabe’s two sons were thought to be staying.

Kriel and private prosecutor Gerrie Nel answered various questions on a third party‚ but did not disclose the person’s identity.

Nel said: “We’ve agreed with Gabriella not to disclose any details about who she is‚ what she is doing at the moment‚ because she will be a witness. Those facts will come out in court.”

Gabriella on Monday opened a case of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm at the Sandton police station‚ and Mugabe was widely thought to be appearing in court on Tuesday. But by the close of business on Tuesday she hadn’t been arrested or handed herself over to the police.

Nel said they were confident in the police and the NPA‚ but would seek a private prosecution if nothing happened in the next three months.
“No one‚ not even Mrs Grace Mugabe‚ must be allowed to bypass the law as a result of their position of power.”

Nel said the investigating officer contacted Gabriella on Thursday morning and said the police planned to issue a warrant for Grace’s arrest.

AfriForum legal representative Willie Spies said in a letter to Minister of International Relations Maite Nkoana-Mashabane that Mugabe should not be granted diplomatic immunity‚ because she committed a “grave crime” according to Section 2(2) of the Diplomatic Immunities and Privileges Act 37 of 2001.

They reminded Nkoana-Mashabane of Section 6 of the Foreign States Immunities Act 87 of 1987 that a foreign head of state does not enjoy immunity from the jurisdiction of South African courts when someone has been injured.

Spies said they will approach the court if Mugabe is granted immunity‚ because they believe her claim she was accompanying her husband Robert to a SADC summit in South Africa was an “afterthought”.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

CRIME AND COURTS

Fraudster arrested after swipping for $390 000 groceries

Published

on

A fraudster has been arrested after he swiped for groceries worth more than $398 000 at OK Supermarket in Hwange using a bank card that had been tampered with.

The man, Brian Pedzisa of Chitungwiza, was arrested on Thursday and is suspected to be among a gang of people who have been using cloned cards and other bank card related tactics to con various retail shops across the country.

Detectives on Thursday pounced on Pedzisa at the supermarket, moments after he was about to get out after swiping for groceries worth $396 384.

Matabeleland North provincial police spokesperson Inspector Glory Banda confirmed the incident and said police were now looking for two other people linked to the sca

“On 10 June 2021 a gang of three fraudsters tried to defraud OK Hwange Supermarket of groceries worth $396 384.

One of the fraudsters successfully used an electronic Visa card to make purchases but before he could make off he was arrested by a team of watchful detectives who were working on a tip-off. Upon being interviewed the suspect revealed that he was working with two other accomplices who are still at large,” said Insp Banda.

He said the gang had used the same strategy to defraud OK Mart Victoria Falls of an undisclosed amount in groceries. He appealed to members of the public to assist with information leading to their arrest.

“The two accomplices are on the run anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of these two criminals can report at the nearest police station,” said Insp Banda.

He called on shop owners to enhance security to avoid such incidents which were on the rise in the country.

“As police we would like to implore shop owners to enhance security at their premises through use of alarm systems and Closed Circuit Television. Retailers should examine electronic cards and do necessary verifications before processing of electronic transactions. For the record some fraudsters misrepresent themselves as humanitarian workers.”

According to sources privy to the incident, the gang would approach the supermarkets seeking a quotation for groceries pretending that the transaction wanted would be effected from a nostro account. Later one of the gang members would return to make purchases using a Visa card whose microchip would have been tampered with. Sunday News

Continue Reading

CRIME AND COURTS

BREAKING : Former Studio 263 actress Anne Nhira dies in SA

Published

on


Former Studio 263 actress Anne Nhira who acted as Vimbai Jari in the soap has died.

She was 38 years old.

Her brother Juan Nhira confirmed the news.

“She sustained injuries on her chest area, rib cage and back during a robbery on Monday afternoon in Bedford view South Africa. She was only 38 years of age,” he said.

Juan said her funeral arrangements will be announced in due course. Rest in peace Anne.

Continue Reading

CRIME AND COURTS

Watch: Chivhu mother beheads her four children sets house on fire

Published

on

Video footage has emerged after a Chivhu mother allegedly beheaded her four children before setting the family house on fire.

Police said on Twitter, “The woman then surrendered herself to the Police.”

National Police Spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi said he was not in a position to give further details as the case was in it’s infancy.

“Our police officers are still attending the crime scene,” he said.

The incident occurred in Highview suburb in Chivhu which is about 146km from Harare.

The woman’s name and age could not be immediately established.

Meanwhile, videos of the multiple murder scene have surfaced online.

Watch the video below;

Scene of the horrific Chivhu children murder

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 I ZIM. For Zimbabweans By Zimbabweans